Libya stretches along the northern coast of Africa and has Tunisia and Algeria on the west and Egypt on the east. To the south of Libya are Sudan, Chad and Niger. Most of the country is within the Sahara Desert while the coastal areas and interior is plateau. Libya, as it is now, was founded by Col. Muammar al Qaddafi.
Libya - Facts and Figures
- Official name is Great Socialist People’s Libyan Arab Jamahiriya.
- The terrain is mostly barren, flat plain with plateaus and depressions.
- Libya’s climate is Mediterranean along its coast while being dry and extreme within its exterior.
- Libya has total land boundaries of 4,383 kilometers while its coastline is 1,770 kilometers long.
- Area: 1,759,540 sq km, all of it being land.
- The Arabs came to Libya in the middle of the seventh century and Islam quickly followed. More recently, Libya was under Italian rule.
- Population is almost 6 million, of which Berbers and Arabs comprise 97%. Other races include Greeks, Maltese, Italians, Egyptians, Pakistanis, Turks, Indians and Tunisians.
- The main languages are Arabic and Italian. English is also widely spoken. (Buy Islamic Arabic Books here)
- Islam is practiced by 97% of the population, the majority of them being Sunnis.
- Capital is Tripoli and the other major city is Benghazi.
- Major exports are machinery, transport equipment, food and consumer products.
- The local currency is the Libyan dinar.
- Agricultural products are wheat, barley, olives, dates, citrus fruits, vegetables, peanuts and soybeans.
- Major trading partners include Italy, Germany, Spain, Turkey, France, South Korea, United Kingdom and Tunisia.
- Government system is military rule.
Rabiya Lycra Stretchable Abaya with Belts and Panels - Arabic dresses
A very beautiful Abaya imported from the Middle eastern fabric. The Abaya's fabric is lycra blend, which makes it str...
Printed Heart Satin-feel Light weight Kaftan dress - Muslim Clothing
A beautiful Kaftan dress made in satin soft material to give you a comfortable feeling. The kaftan dress is made in s...
Jaleelah Sequined Jersey Fabric Thobe for Women - Muslim women clothing
A very stylish and sober thobe made from jersey strtech fabric imported from the markets of Dubai. The thobe comes in...
Henna Black Abaya with Beads and Borders - Middle Eastern Clothing
An extremely rich-looking and elegant black lycra Abaya imported from the Middle eastern fabric. The Abaya's fabric i...
Colorful Satin Kaftan for Ladies with Kimono Sleeves - Arabic dresses
A very elegant Printed Kimono sleeves Satin Kaftan. The colorful artistic prints in bright bold hues adds to the beau...