Libya stretches along the northern coast of Africa and has Tunisia and Algeria on the west and Egypt on the east. To the south of Libya are Sudan, Chad and Niger. Most of the country is within the Sahara Desert while the coastal areas and interior is plateau. Libya, as it is now, was founded by Col. Muammar al Qaddafi.
Libya - Facts and Figures
- Official name is Great Socialist People’s Libyan Arab Jamahiriya.
- The terrain is mostly barren, flat plain with plateaus and depressions.
- Libya’s climate is Mediterranean along its coast while being dry and extreme within its exterior.
- Libya has total land boundaries of 4,383 kilometers while its coastline is 1,770 kilometers long.
- Area: 1,759,540 sq km, all of it being land.
- The Arabs came to Libya in the middle of the seventh century and Islam quickly followed. More recently, Libya was under Italian rule.
- Population is almost 6 million, of which Berbers and Arabs comprise 97%. Other races include Greeks, Maltese, Italians, Egyptians, Pakistanis, Turks, Indians and Tunisians.
- The main languages are Arabic and Italian. English is also widely spoken. (Buy Islamic Arabic Books here)
- Islam is practiced by 97% of the population, the majority of them being Sunnis.
- Capital is Tripoli and the other major city is Benghazi.
- Major exports are machinery, transport equipment, food and consumer products.
- The local currency is the Libyan dinar.
- Agricultural products are wheat, barley, olives, dates, citrus fruits, vegetables, peanuts and soybeans.
- Major trading partners include Italy, Germany, Spain, Turkey, France, South Korea, United Kingdom and Tunisia.
- Government system is military rule.
Arabic Allure Evening Maxi Dress - Muslim clothing for women
This elegant A-line Designer Wear Georgette Party dress is our newest addition from the Middle East. The ensemble is ...
Sharjah Abaya with Beaded Sleeves - Muslim Clothing
A very comfortable yet stylish Abaya - Sharjah style - made from 100% Abaya fabric (Polyester based) that is sure to ...
Dual Colored Jeddah Abaya - Islamic Clothes
A very pretty Dual Colored Jeddah Abaya for the Muslim women. The fabric is comfortable polyester black on the sides,...
Netted Dual Colored Abaya from Jeddah - Arabic dresses
A very pretty Dual Colored Jeddah Abaya for the Muslim women. The fabric is comfortable polyester and has black net d...
Omani Fancy Abaya - Muslim clothing for women
An elegant beaded polyester/georgette Abaya tailored with smooth fabric suited specifically for Abayas. Adorned with ...