Turkey straddles Europe and Asia at the northeast end of the Mediterranean Sea. To the north is the Black Sea and to the west is the Aegean Sea. Turkey has many neighbors from Europe and Asia. Greece and Bulgaria are to the west, Russia, Ukraine, and Romania, through the Black Sea, are to the north and northwest, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Iran lie in the east while the south features Syria and Iraq. The country is divided by Dardanelles, the Sea of Marmara, and the Bosporus.
Turkey - Facts and Figures
- Official name is Republic of Turkey.
- Turkey is a mostly mountainous area with narrow coastal plains and a treeless central plateau.
- Climate is temperate with hot and dry summers while winters are mild and wet. Interior weather, though, is harsher.
- Turkey’s land borders are 2,627 kilometers long in total. Its coastline is 7,200 kilometers.
- Area: 780,580 sq km, of which 770,760 sq km is land and 9,820 sq km is water.
- Turkey was formed in 1923 from what remained of the Ottoman Empire, which ruled for around 600 years.
- Population is around 70.5 million. Turkish people comprise 80% of the population with the rest being Kurdish.
- The official language is Turkish. Kurdish, Dimli, Azeri and Kabardian are also spoken.
- Islam is practiced by 99.8% while Christians and Jews comprise 0.2%.
- Capital is Ankara. Other large cities are Istanbul, Izmir, Bursa, Adana and Gaziantep.
- Major exports are apparel, foodstuffs, textiles, metals and transport equipment.
- The local currency is the Turkish lira.
- Agricultural products are tobacco, cotton, grain, olives, sugar beets, pulse, citrus products and livestock.
- Major trading partners include Germany, United Kingdom, United States, Italy, France, Spain, Russia and China.
- Government is a republican parliamentary democracy.
Henna Black Abaya with Beads and Borders - Middle Eastern Clothing
An extremely rich-looking and elegant black lycra Abaya imported from the Middle eastern fabric. The Abaya's fabric i...
Colorful Satin Kaftan for Ladies with Kimono Sleeves - Arabic dresses
A very elegant Printed Kimono sleeves Satin Kaftan. The colorful artistic prints in bright bold hues adds to the beau...
Classic Sparkle Arabic Thobe for Ladies - Islamic Clothing
This is a gorgeous polyester thobe. Artistically embroidered on the front and sleeves, this dress is available in man...
Arabic Allure Evening Maxi Dress - Muslim clothing for women
This elegant A-line Designer Wear Georgette Party dress is our newest addition from the Middle East. The ensemble is ...
Sharjah Abaya with Beaded Sleeves - Muslim Clothing
A very comfortable yet stylish Abaya - Sharjah style - made from 100% Abaya fabric (Polyester based) that is sure to ...