Egypt is the gateway to Africa from the Middle East. It is bordered on the west by Libya and on the south by Sudan. On the east is the Red Sea and Israel. Egypt is divided by the Nile River, both sides being arid and hot. The Nile flows north from around 161 kilometers south of the Mediterranean and its tributaries empty into the sea between Alexandria and Port Said.
Egypt - Facts and Figures
- Official name is Arab Republic of Egypt.
- The terrain of Egypt is dominated by a vast desert plateau as well as the Nile valley and delta.
- Climate is mostly desert with hot and dry summers and moderate winters.
- Egypt’s land boundaries are 2,689 kilometers while it has 2,450 kilometers of coastline.
- Area: 1,001,450 sq km, of which 995,450 sq km is land and 6,000 sq km is water.
- Egypt has a rich history of civilization and culture. Islam came to Egypt in the seventh centuries with the arrival of the Arabs.
- Population is about 80 million, of which 98% are Egyptian while the rest are comprised of Berber, Nubian, Bedouin, Beja, Greek, Armenian, Italian and French.
- The official language is Arabic. English and French are also spoken.
- Islam is the majority religion practiced by 90% of Egyptians, most of whom are Sunnis. Other religions include Coptic (9%) and Christian.
- Capital is Cairo. Other cities are Alexandria, Giza, Shubra el Khema and El Mahalla el Kubra.
- Major exports are machinery and equipment, foodstuffs, chemicals and wood products. Natural resources are petroleum, natural gas, iron ore, phosphates, manganese, limestone, gypsum, talc, asbestos, lead and zinc.
- The local currency is the Egyptian pound.
- Agricultural products are cotton, rice, corn, wheat, beans, fruits, vegetables, cattle, water buffalo, sheep and goats.
- Major trading partners are Italy, United States, Syria, Germany, Spain, France, China, United Kingdom and Saudi Arabia.
- Government is a republic.
Click here to buy Islamic Books
Click here to buy Islamic History books online
Sharjah Abaya with Beaded Sleeves - Muslim Clothing
A very comfortable yet stylish Abaya - Sharjah style - made from 100% Abaya fabric (Polyester based) that is sure to ...
Dual Colored Jeddah Abaya - Islamic Clothes
A very pretty Dual Colored Jeddah Abaya for the Muslim women. The fabric is comfortable polyester black on the sides,...
Netted Dual Colored Abaya from Jeddah - Arabic dresses
A very pretty Dual Colored Jeddah Abaya for the Muslim women. The fabric is comfortable polyester and has black net d...
Omani Fancy Abaya - Muslim clothing for women
An elegant beaded polyester/georgette Abaya tailored with smooth fabric suited specifically for Abayas. Adorned with ...
Elegant Dubai Abaya with Brocade Bordered Waist - Islamic clothing for women
A stylish Abaya (comes with a matching shawl) made from from high quality imported abaya fabric that is sure to catch...